This weekend I was fortunate enough to attend the 137th “Run for the Roses” at Churchill Downs. I’ve been to plenty of Derby parties over the years, but let me tell you this: the Derby is something to add to your bucket list. You’ve got to experience it in person, because unlike watching the event on television, the Derby isn’t just about the two-minute race. In fact, I couldn’t even see race (although, I did bet and win!). It’s about everything leading up to the Derby in Louisville – the people, the fashion, the food, the Mint Julep’s. It’s completely unbelievable.
So, I thought it would be fun to narrow down my top five Derby moments this year and share them. It was tough (and I’m sure I’ll change my mind tomorrow), but here they are:
5. Watching Salt-n-Pepa perform “Push It” at the Barnstable Brown Party.
4. Wearing a Fascinator (totally felt like a Royal Wedding attendee).
3. Venturing into the infield on Derby Day – holy insanity! Best people watching EVER.
2. Walking in the Chambord fashion show on Oaks Day.
1. Watching the horses warm up on the track with the sun rising over head.